Wednesday 10 November 2010

Poaching Women

I have been noticing that the visible population of the APTs consists mainly of women, children and old people. Given that I was visiting these places during the day, I assume that most of these women do not work. I was reminded of an interesting article about gender arbitrage my friend Kade recently sent me:
http://www.economist.com/node/17311877

So if 'Only 60% of female South Korean graduates aged between 25 and 64 are in work' 

and if 'The workplace may be sexist, but the education system is extremely meritocratic'

does that mean that the APT are populated by highly educated women who are unlikely to be in full time employment?  This puts an interesting spin on what Catrina mentioned to me our tutorial that these places are the 'mirror image' of the corporate world of the city...

No comments:

Post a Comment